WizTree 4.03 (22 September 2021)
- Treemap may have failed to render on some very large hard drives - fixed
- Zooming in on treemap will now hide "free space" if "show free space on treemap" is enabled
- A limited context menu will now be available when loading CSV or MFT files from
other PCs. Previously no context menu would appear if the file/folder didn't
exist on the local PC.
WizTree 4.02 (20 September 2021)
- Treemap now displays file and folder names for large files and folders.
Double click on a folder or file in the treemap to "zoom" the treemap into that folder.
Use new ".." and "\" buttons on treemap to unzoom one level or to reset the treemap to the root.
You can also select "Zoom in Treemap" and "Zoom out treemap" from the file or folder context
menu (right click menu)
File and folder name display can be toggled via "Options->Show File and Folder Names in Treemap"
- The "explore folder" option will now automatically select the file in Windows explorer if a file was selected
- New search terms added to file search for files or folders only:
Type in =folder or =folders in search to display folders only.
Type in =file or =files in search to display files only.
- new file length and path length search terms added:
Use "namelen" and "pathlen" to search by file name length and path length
e.g. to find files with path length (includes file name) greater than 255:
to find file names with exactly 1 character:
- new export command line parameters:
To export "percent of parent" data, include the parameter:
To set the maximum folder depth to be exported, include the parameter:
Where n is the maximum folder depth.
e.g. to export the root folders and files only:
A max depth of 0 means unlimited (default)
- Gradient in treemap can be now disabled by editing the WizTree3.ini file and setting
WizTree 4.01 (21 June 2021)
- Supporter codes purchased before version 4.00 was released have been automatically converted to "lifetime" licenses and will now work on all future releases of WizTree
- Some drive types were not displaying total and free space (fixed)
- Treemap context menu now displays various treemap configuration options (show treemap, show allocated space, show free space)
- Polish translation updated
- Turkish translation updated
WizTree 4.00 (10 June 2021)
- Multiple drives and folders may now be selected and scanned at once (use the "Select multiple" option in the drop down, or press Alt+F3 to select drives and folders)
- When selecting multiple drives or folders, you can add custom folders to the list by clicking on the "add folder" button. These new user defined folders will also appear in the main drop down selection box for quick access.
- The file search has been updated to work the way WizFile does. These new search filter options can also be used as filters when calling WizTree from the command line.
Use operators "=", ">", ">=", "<", "<=" to filter files based on size or modified date. NB: Don't put any spaces between operators and values!
e.g. to find files less than 100 bytes in size:
Append a 'k', 'm', 'g', or 't' to the number to search in Kb, Mb, Gb, Tb
e.g. to find files between 500MB and 1Gb:
'kb', 'mb', 'gb', 'tb' can also be used, e.g.:
To filter by "allocated" size, use "a=", "a>", etc.
e.g. To find files with allocated size between 100MB and 200MB:
e.g. to find files with 0 allocated size and greater than zero file size:
To filter by date, specify a date in the format: yyyy/mm/dd
e.g. Filter files modified before 2020/01/01:
Use the constant "today" to reference today's date. Optionally add or subtract a number of days from this constant.
e.g. to find files modified in the last 7 days:
e.g. to find all files larger than 1gb that were modified in the last month (last 30 days):
Place the search item in quotes to force a file name search.
e.g. to find file names that contain "=0" instead of displaying files with zero size:
- File search speed has been increased
- Matching text will now be highlighted in the file search results
- The wiztree web site has moved to from "wiztreefree.com" to "diskanalyzer.com"
- Licensing has changed. Commercial users will now purchase licenses based on their business size. These licenses will be valid for all versions of WizTree released within one year of purchase. For example, if a user purchases a license on 1 July 2021, it will work with all versions of WizTree that are released before 1 July 2022 (one year from 1 July 2021).
WizTree 3.41 (5 May 2021)
- Fixed bug introduced in 3.40 that could prevent mapped network drives from being scanned correctly
- Fixed bug where cluster size may have been incorrect leading to incorrect "allocated size" calculations
- Fixed bug where right clicking on drive letter would not display context menu
- Fixed inconsistency with how "percent of parent" was calculated when displaying individual files
that had been grouped together within a folder ("x files in folder"). The percentage displayed is
now the percentage size of the individual file within the group.
WizTree 3.40 (4 May 2021)
- Incorrect allocated space value was being displayed for cloud based files (like OneDrive) - fixed
- Search filter text and number of files drop down on "files" view invisible on some older versions of Windows - fixed
- updated EULA
WizTree 3.39 (15 April 2021)
- Launching WizTree with a command line parameter path containing a trailing backslash would cause scanning problems (bug introduced in 3.38, fixed)
- Chinese (Simplified) translation updated
Note that many of the WizTree translations are out of date as the original
translators are no longer available. If you find that the translation for
your language is not correct and you'd like to update it please contact us for details.
WizTree 3.38 (14 April 2021)
- Clicking on a file in the tree map would sometimes not bring it into view correctly (fixed)
- Ctrl clicking on files in the tree map now allow selections to be toggled on and off (could not unselect
by ctrl clicking a file in the treemap previously)
- Support for very long file names (>260 characters in total)
- Scanning of network drives would fail in some cases (e.g. on Parallels desktop for Mac) - fixed
- Minor cosmetic changes. Label color issue on Windows XP fixed.
- Updated Turkish translation (thanks to Ferhat MURAT)
Note that many of the WizTree translations are out of date as the original
translators are no longer available. If you find that the translation for
your language is not correct and you'd like to update it please contact us.
WizTree 3.37 (23 February 2021)
- Tweaked tree map display drawing. Will now only display drawing progress when dealing with more than 1,000,000 files as it's
quicker to not display any progress.
- Drive selection box would not work correctly if "display drive letters" option in Windows File Explorer was turned off (fixed)
- Digital signature verification method changed as previous Windows API method (WinVerifyTrust) would trigger
unwanted Internet access if required digital certificates were not already installed on the PC
WizTree 3.36 (16 February 2021)
- support for Windows 10 "dark mode". Theme can be changed via Options->Colors->UI Theme
- Rescanning the same drive or folder (by clicking Scan or pressing F5) will now preserve the current state of the tree
and file views so folders and files that were visible or selected before the rescan will remain visible and selected
if they still exist after the rescan. This makes "refreshing" the view much easier than before.
- WizTree may have incorrectly decoded some MFT records on very large hard drives which could lead to extremely large
allocated size information being displayed for some files (fixed)
- .mft and .csv files created by WizTree can now be dragged into WizTree to be processed. Note that due to the way
Windows implements security, you won't be able to drag files from Windows explorer into WizTree if Windows explorer
is running non elevated (non admin rights) and WizTree is running elevated (admin rights). You either have to start
up Windows explorer in admin mode, or start WizTree in non admin mode (disable "always run as administartor")
for this to work.
- Allocated size for files compressed using NTFS LZX compression would appear as 0 when scanning folders (fixed)
- File search filtering sped up significantly
- support for very high DPI (200%+ scaling)
- When dealing with extremely large numbers of files WizTree will display a progress bar after scanning when
loading tree data and/or drawing the tree map. We recommend turning the tree map off (toggle with F9) when
dealing with very large numbers of files as it can take some time to draw a tree map for millions of files.
- minor UI changes
- Dutch translation updated (thanks to Jan Verheijen)
WizTree 3.35 (31 August 2020)
- Fixed bug introduced in 3.34 that might cause WizTree to hang when scanning certain hard drives
- Fixed integer overflow issue that would cause problems when dumping extremely large MFT files
- Multi selection on file view did not unselect when Ctrl+Clicking selected item (fixed)
- debug logging is now possible by using the new command line parameter "/debug=1". This will create log files in the %appdata%\WizTree3\DebugLogs folder. Send these to us if you have any problems.
WizTree 3.34 (29 August 2020)
- When sorting by allocated size, the percentage of parent calculation will now use allocated size values
- Improved MFT file scanning method. Should greatly improve scanning speed on drives with very large MFT files.
- Menu items using non English alphabet will no longer have auto generated shortcuts added to them
- some minor UI tweaks (file groups now line up properly, percentage display slightly wider, progress bar lagging fixed)
- WizTree can now be configured to display the maximum "last modified date" for all files and folders within a folder instead of the standard Windows last modified date.
To do this edit the WizTree3.ini file and change the following setting:
Default setting is off (0). WizTree3.ini is located in %appdata%\WizTree3\WizTree3.ini (for installed version) or in the same folder as the
WizTree exe file for the portable version.
- Updated translations for Russian (thanks to Dmitry Yerokhin), Japanese (thanks to maboroshin), Korean (thanks to Kim YoungCheon)
WizTree 3.33(14 May 2020)
- Network and substituted drives that may not have been visible to WizTree when running as administrator will now be selectable. This is a work around for a Windows bug/feature that does not allow elevated applications to access network and substituted drives that were created by a non elevated process. See: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee844140(v=ws.10).aspx
In such a case WizTree will display the contents of the network drive using the UNC name (e.g. \\servername\sharename) instead of the mapped drive letter. Similarly substituted drives will display the contents of the local folder the drive is mapped to instead of the mapped drive letter.
- Added option to display values in TB. Values larger than 1024GB will be displayed in TB in dynamic value display mode.
- /filterexclude would not work unless a /filter was specified (fixed)
- Folder names will now be matched against the filter specification using a trailing backslash
(setting a /filterexclude to "C:\windows\" would export the "C:\windows\" folder record incorrectly as it would filter using "C:\windows" instead of "c:\windows\")
- Files without an extension can now be filtered for by using "*." filter. This did not work previously as the period was not included in the filename used to match against the filter.
- Importing a CSV file that was exported with folders only ( "/exportfiles=0") will now display total file and folder info correctly
- Importing a CSV file that did not contain complete folder information could cause file names to become corrupted. This would prevent context menu from working correctly.
- Importing a CSV file from a network share (e.g. \\servername\sharename) would drop the leading "\\" when importing (fixed)
- row height can be set in the WizTree3.ini file ("rowheight=xx"). Default is 19. Useful if you've increased the fontheight setting in this file.
- when sorting by allocated size, the percentage of parent calculation will now use allocated size values
WizTree 3.32 (27 January 2020)
- Windows Explorer integration was not working correctly with windows desktop and in folder backgrounds (fixed).
Toggle Windows Explorer integration off and on again if you already had WizTree installed before upgrading to this version to fix the problem.
- Adding or removing a USB drive will now update the drive list automatically
- Updated various translation files
WizTree 3.31 (22 January 2020)
- Export File Types to CSV file function added.
use /exportfiletypes=filename command line option to export file type information
- new command line option /filterexclude works like /filter but excludes any files that match from being exported
- new command line option to set supporter code (useful for Enterprise users):
e.g. WizTree.exe /supportercode=xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxx
If there's an error setting the code it will be displayed on screen, otherwise nothing is displayed. This only has to be done once per PC.
- Fixed crash that would occur when scanning a folder with exactly 9 files
WizTree 3.30 (31 October 2019)
- WizTree "Enterprise License" can now be purchased if you wish to have unlimited use of WizTree within your organisation.
- Treemap drawing tweaked to make edges more distinct
- "WizTree" added to internal file context menu (useful when WizTree is not configured to be integrated with Windows Explorer context menu)
- Clicking clear button on "File" view will place cursor in search box
WizTree 3.29 (15 May 2019)
- Initialisation may have failed in some rare cases - fixed. (Blank screen with no drives would be selectable at start up)
- File names containing ampersands (&) will now display properly
- command line export may have caused a stack overflow error in some rare cases (fixed)
- new Bulgarian (bg) translation
WizTree 3.28 (4 February 2019)
- "Match entire path" filter option on files tab was not working (only file name was being searched) - fixed
- "Invalid argument to date encode" error might have occurred on some hard drives containing invalid file data - fixed
- updated Norwegian (no) and Swedish (sv) translations
WizTree 3.26 (17 September 2018)
- Installer and portable versions updated with updated Russian, German and Slovak languages. No changes to application executables.
WizTree 3.26 (6 September 2018)
- Colors can now be linked to file extensions (configure via Options->Colors, set "Color by" to "Extension")
- Windows high DPI scaling support improved (fonts would appear far too large on some PCs when 200% or more scaling was enabled)
WizTree 3.25 (8 July 2018)
- 64 bit version might have crashed when displaying message dialogs on certain PCs (fixed)
WizTree 3.24 (6 July 2018)
- WizTree CSV files exported via the "export to CSV" option may now be imported and viewed.
Select "<CSV File>" in the selection combo box (or press Shift+F3) to select a CSV file to import.
- Windows 10 high DPI support (WizTree will scale itself correctly on high DPI monitors)
- Resizing form while treemap active would redraw entire treemap continuously causing slowdown (fixed)
- Portable version will now use the default Windows language (if supported by WizTree) instead of defaulting to English
WizTree 3.23 (6 June 2018)
- Export to CSV would duplicate some folders (fixed)
- Configuration file name was incorrect in portable version (was using WizFile.ini instead of WizTree3.ini)
- Configuration file name for installed version now set to %appdata%\WizTree3\WizTree3.ini (was using WizFile.ini or WizFile64.ini before)
WizTree 3.22 (18 May 2018)
- MFT can now be dumped via command line:
WizTree.exe drive /dumpmftfile=filename
Use %d and %t in filename for date (YYYYMMDD) and time (HHMMSS)
e.g. WizTree C: /dumpmftfile="d:\dumps\cdrive%d%t.mft"
- MFT files now also store the drive letter of the original dumped drive so correct drive letter will be used when loading a previously saved MFT file (instead of 'C'). Must use version 3.22 or newer for this to work.
- Treemap colors can now be configured (Options->Colors...). Default and Color Blind color presets are available.
- Empty folders would not appear on the tree view (fixed)
WizTree 3.21 (30 April 2018)
- Fixed bug introduced in 3.20 that could cause certain files to appear in the incorrect position in the tree view.
WizTree 3.20 (12 April 2018)
- fixed memory leak when scanning non NTFS folders
- Post scanning operations sped up (file list no longer needs to be sorted before loading the tree)
- Modified date for folders now uses the same date/time as displayed by Windows Explorer (previously it would display the maximum date of all files within it)
- Italian translation improved
- New Slovak translation (thanks to Vladimír Kubala)
- Command line export now allows for MFT record number to be included in the export data file. This can be used as a unique file ID number. Note that the MFT record number is only valid when exporting an NTFS formatted drive and when WizTree is launched with administrator rights.
Add "/exportmftrecno=1" (without quotes) to the command line
WizTree 3.19 (8 March 2018)
- It's now possible to select all files with a particular extension by right clicking on the extension in the "File Types" view and clicking "Select". Note that this may take some time if there are many thousands of files.
- Allocated size figure on "File View" might display incorrect values in some cases (fixed)
- WizTree would crash after entering supporter code if configuration ini file was not writable (fixed)
- Treemap was not displaying bottom edge correctly (fixed)
WizTree 3.18 (23 February 2018)
- Automated export via command line now supported (see details in documentation above)
- File Search Filter now supports multiple filters/wildcards. Separate each with the | (pipe) symbol. e.g. *.mp3|*.ogg|*.wav
- File view can now optionally display folders - enable this via the new "Folders" checkbox
- Removed dependency on URL.DLL which does not exist on some versions of Windows
- Export function would not export sub-folders if the selected folder contained a file grouping (fixed)
- New Portuguese (Brazil) translation by Geraldo Souza
- New Turkish translation by Ismet Cakir
- New Hungarian translation by niltwill
- Updated German translation (v3.18 28 Feb 2018)
WizTree 3.17 (7 December 2017)
- Percent of parent calculation for grouped files ("x files in folder") was incorrect - fixed
- new Korean translation by 4Li
- Spanish translation updated
- Swedish translation updated
- Japanese translation updated
WizTree 3.16 (24 November 2017)
- Copy file and size info feature added.
- File export feature added. See documentation above.
- new Dutch translation by Imihar Novyak
- new Swedish translation by Magnus Beutner
- new German translation by André Heinrich
WizTree 3.15 (19 October 2017)
(Only external translation files have changed in the installer/portable version)
- German translation by de-heidjer
- Updated Japanese translation
- Updated French translation
WizTree 3.15 (18 October 2017)
- WizTree now associates itself with .MFT files (double click on a .MFT file to open it with WizTree)
- Windows Explorer integration now uses WizTree icon in context menu
- "Max files" value was not being saved correctly
- Number of decimal places used to display sizes can now be configured in the WizTree3.ini file
- fixed memory leak (memory usage also reduced)
WizTree 3.14 (14 October 2017)
- High CPU usage while idle bug fixed (was not properly fixed in 3.13)
- Tree horizontal grid lines and alternate row coloring can be enabled in the WizTree3.ini file
WizTree 3.13 (13 October 2017)
- Free space can now be displayed on the Tree view (Options -> Show free space on treeview)
- Treemap image can be saved as a .png file with user specified size and in shades of gray
- Fixed issue causing high CPU usage while idle after scanning
- fontsize and rowheight can now be set in the WizTree3.ini file
WizTree 3.12 (3 October 2017)
(Only external translation files have changed in the installer/portable version)
- New translations are now bundled with installer
- Chinese (Traditional) translation by cf0132
- Norwegian translation by John-Alex Berglund
- Updated Italian language file used by installer
WizTree 3.12 (27 September 2017)
- Supporter names were not being displayed correctly if they contained Unicode characters (fixed)
- New translations bundled with the installer:
- Danish translation by Tobias Dideriksen
- Italian translation by bovirus
WizTree 3.11 (19 September 2017)
- Zoom/Unzoom treemap
Press F10 (or + on numpad) to zoom treemap to currently selected folder
Press F11 (or - on numpad) to unzoom treemap to parent of currently zoomed treemap folder
- Portable version no longer enables "Windows Explorer context menu" by default.
If you enable this option when using WizTree portable then please remember to disable it when you're done with the PC otherwise the WizTree context menu items will remain on the PC even if WizTree portable is no longer accessible.
- Supporter code might have had to be entered twice on some PCs due to restart happening before config file update complete
- Treemap might display blank or only appear after a long delay on some PCs (fixed)
- Treemap generation sped up
- Allocated Size added to File Type view
- Option to show allocated size on tree view instead of file size
- Option to control the auto scanning of drives after making a selection
- Floppy drives (A: or B:) will not be selected by default if any other drive letters exist
- New translations are now bundled with the installer:
- French translation by TMTIsFree
- Serbian translation by ozzii.translate
- Japanese translation by donkichirou
- Spanish translation by Master System PC
WizTree 3.10 (12 September 2017)
- Visual Treemap (uses cushion treemaps, similar to how WinDirStat does it)
The visualisation makes it easy to locate large files or folders containing thousands of small files
Selecting files on the treemap will highlight the file on the tree view and vice versa
- File Type view (shows file size breakdown by extension)
- New keyboard shortcuts:
F3 - Select Folder / drive
F4 - Reset tree expanstion (all expanded nodes will be closed and returned to default state)
F6 (or '/' on NumPad) - Select parent
F7 (or '*' on NumPad) - Reselect child node (use after 'Select Parent' to reposition on the child node)
F8 - Show File Types
F9 - Show Treemap
- 32 bit version might display an exclamation mark message ('!') on some PCs when running on a 64 bit O/S
- Windows high contrast mode supported
- The donate button can now be hidden by making a donation (Pay what you want). You will be emailed a unique "supporter code" after you complete the payment. Click on "File->Enter Supporter Code" or press F12 to enter it and remove the donate button. Your support is appreciated!
- Currently available 3.10 translations are now bundled with the installer
- Chinese (Simplified) by th_sjy
- Polish by Barnaba
- Russian by Dmitry Yerokhin
- Ukrainian by kopejkin
WizTree 3.00 (31 August 2017)
- 64 bit version now available. The 64 bit version can work with extremely large MFT files.
- "Allocated Size" now displayed for each file/directory. This is the amount of actual disk space used by the file including any additional named data streams attached to the file.
- NTFS "Hard Links" now supported. A hard link is an identical copy of an existing file where the file contents use the same area on the disk for storage (to save space). If WizTree detects a hard link the allocated file size will be displayed in parentheses in gray text. Hard linked files sizes are only added once when calculating "Allocated Size" totals and sub totals. This will give a 100% accurate total of the actual disk space used by folders that contain many hard linked files (such as C:\Windows\System32 and C:\Windows\WinSxS)
(Note that hard links can only be detected on NTFS drives when WizTree is running with admin rights)
- A selected file count and total size appears in the status bar
- Hover over any file to have the full name displayed in the status bar
- MFT dump now appends volume information (bytes per cluster, sector, MFT record etc) to the end of the MFT file data. WizTree now reads this information from the MFT file if it's available instead of making any assumptions which if wrong would lead to incorrect MFT parsing.
- Background file monitoring for deleted files now uses a different more robust method. If WizTree detects that a file or directory has been deleted it will put a red line through it and remove it from the totals.
- File view filtering is now even faster than before
- Fixed some UI glitches when selecting files via keyboard on the File view
- WizTree can now handle drives containing highly fragmented MFT files
- MFT processing has been optimised so WizTree is even faster than it was before!
- Full translation support added. Click here to find out how to add a translation.
WizTree 2.01 (3 June 2016)
- WizTree would constantly restart itself on some PCs due to administrator rights issues (fixed)
WizTree 2.00 (2 June 2016)
- Now supports all drive types (not just NTFS drives)
- Individual folders can now be scanned ("Select Directory")
- Windows Explorer integration
- File search feature added
- Can now be run without administrator access if required (fast NTFS scanning will not be available)
WizTree 1.07 (17 Sep 2013)
- Fixed bug that could cause incorrect file sizes to be extracted from the MFT on some PCs.
WizTree 1.06 (16 Aug 2013)
- Context menu would not appear when selecting directories exactly 3 characters in length in the root folder
WizTree 1.05 (8 Feb 2013)
- fixed possible access violation when processing certain MFT files
- memory usage decreased by 10%
WizTree 1.04 (4 Dec 2012)
- Memory usage decreased by about 40%
- Folder sizes now updated in real time as files are deleted
- Can now cancel scan in progress
- File deletion detection improved
- Processing speed increased for very large MFT files
- Improved error handling
WizTree 1.03 (1 Dec 2012)
- Fix possible hang while processing on some PCs
WizTree 1.02 (30 Nov 2012)
- Fix for possible access violation when using the new Windows explorer shell context menu
WizTree 1.01 (30 Nov 2012)
- Right clicking tree and files now also shows Windows explorer context menu items. (This can be disabled via Options->Windows Explorer context menu)
- Delete functions now use standard windows dialogs
- Files or folders deleted using another application (e.g. Windows explorer) will be detected and displayed as deleted in the tree and file view
- 'Invalid record pos' error caused by highly fragmented MFT files fixed
- Right clicking on top 1000 file list would not always select file being clicked on (fixed)
WizTree 1.00 (23 Nov 2012)